Paid players are primarily employees, not primarily students.
An NLRB Regional Director has ruled that grant-in-aid scholarship football players at Northwestern University are "employees" and has directed that an NLRB election be held.
The NLRB Regional Director made these basic findings:
- The players perform services for employer's (University's) benefit.
- The players receive compensation for these services.
- The pay is not financial aid.
- The players are subject to the employer's control.
- The players are employees under common-law definitions.
- The players are not primarily students.
- The players are not temporary employees.
This is the beginning of what is sure to be a long litigation battle.